Ceratophyllum demersum is one of the most popular aquarium plants in the trade. Hornwort, as it is more commonly referred to, is able to tolerate a wide range of aquatic conditions which is the reason for its popularity. Ceratophyllum demersum is also very common is the water garden industry where is is used as an oxgenating plant for small water features and ponds. Hornwort is fine with just being floated in a body of open water and can be broken into pieces to establish new plants. Ceratophyllum demersum is native to the United states and makes an excellent cover for fish to lay eggs on or for fry (baby fish) to hide in.
- Common Name: Hornwort
- Scientific Name: Ceratophyllum demersum
- Family Name: Ceratophyllaceae
- Native To: Many parts of the world, some natural, some introduced
- Lighting: Moderate
- Requirements: Easy plant but requires at least moderate hardness
- Growth Form: Stem
- Growth Rate: Fast
- True Aquatic: Yes
- Placement in Tank: Mid - Background or left floating
- Available As: Potted
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.